Works of Art is proud to display the core collection of local award-winning painter Wes Dewey. Wes was born & raised in southeast Kansas where he spent most of his youth exploring the woods & prairies admiring the abundant wildlife. This exploration instilled in him a love for the outdoors & nature. Wes has been artistic most of his life but didn't start painting professionally until the mid 1980s. With wildlife art as his passion, he finds himself primarily driven by stamp competitions. In 1989 he entered his first waterfowl competition, the Kansas Duck Stamp Competition, & placed 4th. Encouraged by this accomplishment, he entered the following year & won first place—an achievement that would fuel his passion to someday win the Federal Duck Stamp Competition.
Upon completion, most Wes Dewey original works are purchased by collectors. Works of Art carries a selection of giclée prints available for purchase in our gallery, by phone, and coming soon to our online shop . Most prints are available in custom sizes on either fine art paper or canvas.
Over the years, Wes Dewey has received an abundance of recognition including:
Top 10 - National Wild Turkey Federation, Turkey Print Competition
1999 - 1st place, Kansas Wildlife in Art Series
2001 - 8th place, Nevada Duck Stamp Competition
2000 - Commissioned to paint the Taggert Wild Trust Memorial Print to benefit The Cheyenne Bottoms in Great Bend, KS
- 2000 - 8th place, National Duck Stamp Competition
- 2006 - 8th place, National Duck Stamp Competition
- 2007 - Kansas Ducks Unlimited Sponsor Print Artist
- 2008 - Kansas Ducks Unlimited Sponsor Print Artist
- 2009 - Kansas Ducks Unlimited Sponsor Print Artist
- 2010 - 1st place, Louisiana Duck Stamp Competition
- 2011 - Kansas 150 - Symphony in the Flint Hills - Kansas State of the Art (book)
- 2012 - Best of Show - Richeson 75 International Seascape, Landscape, & Architectural Art Competition
- 2012 - 3rd place, Connecticut Duck Stamp Competition
- 2014 - 2nd place, Saginaw Bay Waterfowl Festival
- 2015 - Honorable Mention Delaware Waterfowl Stamp Competition
Dewey has workshopped at:
- The Federal Duck Stamp Workshop in MT, where he worked with past winners of the Federal Duck Stamp Competition Dan Smith & Bruce Miller.
- The Plein Air Workshop in Sedona, AZ, where he worked with artist William Scott
Dewey has been selected to attended many juried-only competitions including:
- The National Wildlife Art Show in Kansas City, MO
- The Wildlife Art Expo in Wichita, KS
- The Oklahoma Wildlife Art Festival in Tulsa, OK
- The Midwest Gathering of the Artists in Carthage, MO.